http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: Malaysian Toy Fair (24-25 July 2010)

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Malaysian Toy Fair (24-25 July 2010)

Richard told me about the first ever Malaysia Toy Fair and with all the hype I've heard about San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) going on in the States, I thought of checking it out today to see if it was anything close to the conventions held abroad. In the US, these exhibitions would mean appearances by Hollywood stars, founders of toy and gaming companies and box office film releases. On the sidewalk, you'd fine about a million fans donning costumes, carrying their allowance to buy that coveted exclusive merchandise and chasing the opportunity for an autograph of their favorite actors.

On the way, I spotted a very obvious sign of a Transformers die-hard fan as I walked from my car to Mid Valley Exhibition Centre (MVEC). I couldn't help but be amused by the obvious tribute this driver is paying to the 80's animated mechanized phenomenon. For those of you who are curious, D.E.C.P.D. means "Decepticon Police Department".

A RM3.00 entrance fee entitles you a 1-day pass for which you could walk in and out of the exhibition hall. I felt very surreal walking into a world whom I am most familiar with.


Once I walked in, I spotted Rey manning the Shioktoys booth. I saw Rey last night at the shop in e@theto pick up my Hottoys 1/4th Scale Iron Man Mark IV collectible bust.

The media was expected. I think this interview was done by a local talk show.

Of course, being the first one, MTF pales in terms of size compared with SDCC. Still, there is no shortage of SDCC exclusives. Here we have Iron Man from Mighty Muggs.

No short of Sith Lords at MTF 2010. Courtesy of the 501st Legion: Malaysia-Brunei Outpost. My friend and fellow lawyer was there donning a Boba Fett costume. I had hoped to sense the presence of other Trekkers but I guess the dark-side of the force was strong today.

"Hey, aren't ya a little too short to be hunting with us?..."

"Oh yeah? I bet you'd change your mind after I cut your head off and use if for a shield just like I did the alien strapped to my arm now."
Cosplay (costume play) is an important part of any toy oriented affair. Here we have a couple of Halo 3 posers.

I'm so bad, it's a thriller.

No convention is complete without a gamers' corner. Here, we have a Sudden Death tournament going on which is so reminiscent of the Counterstrike days back in 2004-2005.

For a first timer, the event was quite a success. This is the humble beginning of a whole new phase for the toy industry in Malaysia. I hope next year's MTF would see the lights of some special guests from Hollywood. For that, sponsors must see the impact such appearances would have on business. Perhaps they should coincide the event with a major box office release next summer.

I just read that SDCC announced Tron Legacy. It's been 3 decades since the Tron was released which bewildered fans of sci-fi with a depiction of what it's like inside a computer. This highly anticipated sequel is coming soon.

Labels: , ,