http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: Balinese Dining: Bora Asmara

Monday, October 12, 2009

Balinese Dining: Bora Asmara

I first heard about this place when Stanley Tai invited me to his wedding dinner (which I couldn't attend) last weekend. ~ A Balinese restaurant I never knew was tucked away in Kg. Sg. Penchala all this while. This resplendent set-up has been around for some years now. ~ I've been reading blogs of various food connoisseurs with mixed reviews from pricey o downright tasteless food. ~ "A matter of different taste buds". ~ I think the adage of the proverbial meat and poison best applies here.

This place greets your arrival with the sound of a 'gong!' I felt awkward being subject to a small taste of a royal entrance. The ambience is of the place appeals to me. Ambient lightning with al fresco seating (2 air-conditioned dining halls too if you prefer), by the pond with the soothing sound of water or a more private setting in the bisek-bisek (private little huts) with floor seating. I thought the facade was brilliant!

A soothing glass of Saloma, a concoction of water melon juice, lychees and topped with whipped cream is always good to tantalize the tastebuds and on a humid day like last weekend, I can't think of a more cooling beverage. ~ Perhaps a touch of lime juice and a dash of mint leaves might have left it a more "balinese" tasting drink. Then again, that's me.

The ikan tiga rasa (3-taste fish) deep-fried garouper and topped with sweet, sourt and spicy sauce and garnished with capsicum, coriander and onions was certainly interesting, although I thought the chef could have layed off the flour a bit. ~ The fish was fresh. I didn't ask, but I think they could have used this preparation for chicken breast or soft-shelled crab.

The pandan chicken was tasty and not too bad, but I am partial to the ones served at Ampang Yong Tow Foo in SS2. ~ To avoid having a 3rd protein dish, we ordered kangkung belacan (watercrest stir fried in fermented fish paste) which for me is almost mandatory when having rice meals in reastaurants.

All in all, I'd give Bora Asmara a 7.0/10 for decent-priced food, friendly & prompt staff and ambience (at night, that is). Not particular impressed with the limited parking space out front. The variety seems interesting but my taste buds tells me it's not as authentic as it's made out to be. Definitely a place to have a quiet and enchanted evening away from urban areas though.

If you're interested to savour the culinary offers at Bora Asmara, here is the address and contact info:
Bora Asmara
Lot 2933,
Kg. Sungai Penchala
Jalan Damansara
60000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03 - 77260964
Fax: 03 - 7726 9064
Email: baraombak@gmail.com

(To get there: enter the Penchala link on the LDP after The Curve, Drive another approx 1.5 km and bear left. Go down the ramp and keep left at the lights. Take the left and another left at a T-junction. A mosque will be on your right at the junction. BA is approx. 600m from the T-junction from which you turned in)

Labels: