http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: 5 Reasons Why I Hate Chick Flicks

Monday, September 14, 2009

5 Reasons Why I Hate Chick Flicks

(click on the movie poster for the official website)

I was reminded why I always avoided such rhetorical nonsense.


5 reasons why I hate chick flicks (a.k.a. “romantic comedies”)


1) No exploding heads and limbs, No starships and phasers and No walking, flesh-eating dead people


I’m an action-adventure, sci-fi and horror aficionado! I revel in my Trek universe and I love a good Indiana Jones or Allan Quartermain movie. Give me a bazooka- wielding soldier any day... Even watching Al Gore’s exposé in the Inconvenient Truth isn’t as wrenching as suffering the agony of find my true love movies.

I did very much enjoyed George A. Romero’s Diary of the Dead the night before on satellite TV.


2) Plots in chick flicks too darn predictable

In a nutshell, The Ugly Truth is about a romantically-challenged TV morning show producer, Abby Richter (Katherine Heigl) whose chance encounter during call-in with less-than-suave and seemingly chauvinistic, sexist and insensitive TV talk show host of...well.... “The Ugly Truth”, Mike Chadway (Gerard Butler) eventually leads to a battle of wits between the two. Things begin to turn fiery she finds out the network actually hired Mike for her TV morning news. Not surprisingly, the banter begins and eventually the two find themselves getting along with each other, falling in love with each other and they live happily ever after...

Check out District 9.Peter Jackson caught all of us off guard! Now that, in my view, is hallmark of good movie-making. Out of the norm! Technically brilliant! My darling looks at me those puzzled eyes when I tell her it’s actually sort of like chick flick movie...especially when you watch the last 5 minutes of it!


3) “Romance” and “Comedies” should be distinct from each other

This author must admit that the comedy and humor interspersed in the movie left him in stitches.

Understandably, the drama must unfold with light moments, as the term “romantic comedies” denotes, but it still doesn’t detract from the fact that chick flicks are so predictable, especially when you KNOW the opposite sexes will end up i) sleeping with each other and/or ii) marrying each other in the end... why would I pay good money to watch that on a big screen when I hear about it almost every week?


4) Chick flicks marginalize single people

Being hitched or being a couple is certainly almost a pre-requisite to chick flicks.

Doesn’t it marginalize single people?

Notice the person sitting next to you always gives you that “look” when you’re gorging on a pack of chips and gurgling down a healthy serving of soda alone during a chick flick? I’ve actually tried it on several occasions, Jerry Macguire being one of them...


5) Happy endings should be left for Disney movies !

Fairy tales and happy endings are exclusive for Disney movies! Take the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and recently, Up for example...

It wouldn’t hurt to portray a hapless couple struggling with their relationships only to find out in the end that they weren’t meant for each other...let’s face it! It’s the “ugly truth” about relationships. To that extent, The Breakup (Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston starring) was a more palatable....not that I was remotely impressed...

Labels:

0 Commentsjavascript:void(0):

Post a Comment

<< Home