http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: LUCKY NUMBER EIGHT

Sunday, May 04, 2008

LUCKY NUMBER EIGHT

This week, I was introduced to the Mitsubishi Evo 8. The car in the picture above is the EXACT car I took out for a test run yesterday. Yellow with the signature tail-wing, but unlike the Evo 7, comes with a distinctive carbon-fibre spoiler. 285bhp, Super Active Yaw Control (S-AYC), Active Center Differential (ACD) (with the famous 3-setting driving modes: "Tarmac", "Gravel" and of course the non-applicable "Snow"...in this country), this car may not seem much more different from the its younger brother, the Evo 7, but I tell you, you can only feel the difference once you've saddled up.

Unlike the Evo 7 I took out last week, the Evo 8 is stock. I could tell from the sound of the exhaust note and the turbine. No "pssshhh" (which I was anticipating) as this car is yet to be installed with an after-market blowoff valve.

The ride was slightly bumpier than the Evo 7. This is due to the fact that the comes stock with Bilstein shocks. Take a look at the picture above....notice the prominent Brembo calipers. Man! Sweet! Stopping this machine in warp speed is effortless! Back to the ride... a little bumpier than the Evo 7, but astonishing around the bends. Coupled with the S-AYC and ACD, this car could stretch the laws of physics...the computer would gloss over your driving and plant the car on the road in almost any driving conditions (but then again, this isn't my car and I was not going to do anything stupid to prove its claimed capabilities). The ACCELERATION was certainly what I expected. Nothing falling short of the Evo's standards. Knot to 100kph in less than 5 seconds. I always enjoy her point of climax, which is about 4000rpm! When she rips, you'll just be pinned to your seat!!
The interior looks very similar to the Evo 7, black and blue trimmings. Control placing and configuration is the same as the previous model. But the one I was in is unregistered, with plastic sheets still covering the RECARO SR4s. On the exterior, the 8 looks 'beefier' than its younger brother. The bodykit, noticeably the front grill is different, less symmetrical, if I may. A bit less "garang" than the Evo 7.

The car is equipped with a pair of HID headlamps, probably with a 5000k colour tempreture. The taillamps still bear the characteristics of the 7, but they look like they got their features from the Toyota Altezza. But all in all, this car is one heck of a ride, although I think I enjoyed the test run with the Evo 7...I still wouldn't mind getting my hands on this one though...

Still, at RM188k, this car is beyond my range. But I am going to say this again...if you're thinking about performance, "It's no go if it's not an Evo!"

Labels: ,

2 Commentsjavascript:void(0):

Blogger Unknown said...

[in a 'magical chant' voice] Buy the carrr... buy the carrrrr... buy the carrrrrrrrr...

heh heh heh heh... you know you want to!

Saw Iron Man arready ar? I hear it's really goo ler!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing about Ironman. Supposed to be the acclaimed comic adaptation yet to boast this year. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe catch it this week.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home