http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: Portugal's Last Stand

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Portugal's Last Stand

As the seconds ticked by during the end of the 2nd half, I had a nagging feeling that my good buddy in the Maldives, AINDHY would be starting to tear his hair out!! My symphaties buddy!!... I was hoping your team made it into the finals... I can just imagine the emacipation and the suspense during those final moments when the goalie joined in the foray in a hope to score that 1 goal which could have made a diff...

The onslaught of the Potugese in the 2nd half of yesterday's match coulda brought tears to me eyes... I mean, they really tried. After France led 1-0 by penalty, I happenned to have stumbled out of my slumber and got glued to the idiot box, despite me not being a football sorta guy. But those suspense moments had me begging for a glimer of hope for the poor team.

France honestly did not show that much of an offence, although I thought they really marked Christiano Ronaldo very well. Our friend and his teammate, Simao really displayed the most agile performance I have yet to witness. At every turn, the Portugese hurled their fury at the French, only to suffer near misses... I was actually hoping that they'd equalise at some time....

Well, we have yet to see the beginning of the end of this instalment of the world's biggest football tournament. I hope ya pundits out there will put yer bets wisely... may the force be with you...

2 Commentsjavascript:void(0):

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey buddy,

Sorry for the temporary absence... Had to attend a workshop in Sri Lanka from 3 - 7 July... AND I had food poisoning while i was there... BUT I did manage to catch the match and you were right... pulling my hair out would be the correct expression...

However, you gotta hand it to France eh?!?! Those escargo eating, beret wearing TALENTED les blu s... Zidane has been TOO inspired... and i admit he is THE Man of the world cup... arrrrgggHHH... anyways... best thing about the match was that i felt the teams showed respect for each other... which is the least i could say for Brazil in their last performance...

Well there's always the next time... Figo ain't gonna be around... but Christiano Ronaldo and co. may be... so there's hope... but that's in another four years... and who knows... Brazil and Japan might shape up then... and I might decide they need more rooting ;)...

But for right now... who's up for rooting for Portugal as no.3?!?! If they beat Germany on home ground... it's akin to them winning the cup!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hey buddy... hope you didn't have to puke ur guts out or anything like that in Sri Lanka.

Well, I think the French is slightly overrated. I think without Zidane, the tides would have turned. In any event, I really enjoyed watching your team play. They were giving it their best to the end... that's the spirit to have a good fight!!!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home